Quantcast
Jump to content

Toughest State Title Loss Ever?


Recommended Posts

This team entered the state final with only one loss on the season and breezed through the playoffs.  They put on one of the most dynamic offensive performances in FHSAA state finals history, piling up nearly 600 yards of offense.  They held their opponent to only 150 yards of offense, and all of that came from 5 plays.  Despite this, they still managed to the lose the final. 

Who is the team?

Bonus question: What team beat them to win the state title?

   

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, badbird said:

Pahokee lost to Trinity Catholic.  Robert Love had like 600 yards himself

Correct. I was at that game on the campus of Florida International University. It was in 2005  when John Brantley led the team at QB. It was 30-0 Celtics at the half and they were coasting along. The Celtics then got complacent and Pahokee scored 30 unanswered points in the 2nd half mostly on the arm of Robert Love. It took a key 4th down pass from Brantley for a first down and then a 65 yard run right up the middle of the Pahokee defense by RB Rudell Small to ice the game 37-30. Those were the days when Pahokee was one of the most feared teams in the state.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 That just proves you can’t let your foot off the gas ever.   Screw all that whining about running up the score. I remember a while back Pahokee was playing a team from Mississippi and was winning 47-20 in the 4th quarter. The put their backups in and gave up 2 quick scores. Put the starters back in the but the MS team had tons of momentum and scored 2 more times and won 48-47!

Backups shouldnt come in until there’s less than 5 minutes in a running clock 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

 That just proves you can’t let your foot off the gas ever.   Screw all that whining about running up the score. I remember a while back Pahokee was playing a team from Mississippi and was winning 47-20 in the 4th quarter. The put their backups in and gave up 2 quick scores. Put the starters back in the but the MS team had tons of momentum and scored 2 more times and won 48-47!

Backups shouldnt come in until there’s less than 5 minutes in a running clock 

True. I go by Steve Spurrier's immortal words "It is not my job to stop my offense from scoring it's the job of the opponent's defense to stop my team from scoring". The Celtics never put in backups. Pahokee was just that good and HC Kerwin Bell knew not to ever let up on the gas against them. From my prospective the players did get complacent though.  Pahokee was a lights out team in those days and they nearly defeated the best Trinity Catholic team in their history.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few games.

 

Glades Central's lost to Cocoa in 2010 was a heartbreaking defeat. The score was 13-14. A field goal would have put the Tigers away giving Glades Central its seventh state championship.

 

Madison County Loss to Glades Central in 1999 was another 33-28. Madison County was closing on the victory, but Glades Central scored on with a deep pass in the endzone with seconds left on the clock.

 

Clewiston's loss to Jacksonville Bolles is another in 2006. They lost in overtime 24-27. The reason why this was a heartbreaker because the Muck would have a clean sweep in the state championship with Glades Day, Pahokee, and Glades Central all won state championships. Clewiston would have had its first sole state championship.

 

That same year, Lakeland and St. Thomas Aquinas squared off in an exciting battle. Lakeland had an amazing lead, but Raiders came back strong forcing them into overtime. However, Lakeland walked away with the win.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A-Town 561 said:

I have a few games.

 

Glades Central's lost to Cocoa in 2010 was a heartbreaking defeat. The score was 13-14. A field goal would have put the Tigers away giving Glades Central its seventh state championship.

 

Madison County Loss to Glades Central in 1999 was another 33-28. Madison County was closing on the victory, but Glades Central scored on with a deep pass in the endzone with seconds left on the clock.

 

Clewiston's loss to Jacksonville Bolles is another in 2006. They lost in overtime 24-27. The reason why this was a heartbreaker because the Muck would have a clean sweep in the state championship with Glades Day, Pahokee, and Glades Central all won state championships. Clewiston would have had its first sole state championship.

 

That same year, Lakeland and St. Thomas Aquinas squared off in an exciting battle. Lakeland had an amazing lead, but Raiders came back strong forcing them into overtime. However, Lakeland walked away with the win.

 

 

The muck did have a sweep we dont claim Clewiston lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Correct. I was at that game on the campus of Florida International University. It was in 2005  when John Brantley led the team at QB. It was 30-0 Celtics at the half and they were coasting along. The Celtics then got complacent and Pahokee scored 30 unanswered points in the 2nd half mostly on the arm of Robert Love. It took a key 4th down pass from Brantley for a first down and then a 65 yard run right up the middle of the Pahokee defense by RB Rudell Small to ice the game 37-30. Those were the days when Pahokee was one of the most feared teams in the state.

Pahokee was losing 24-7 at the half after turning over the ball twice in the first half. Got the ball on the opening drive and a perfectly thrown ball was dropped and intercepted by OTC!!!! Trinity never got complacent because they never stopped Pahokee or never moved the ball efficiently on them!!!!They got down 30-7 in the 3rd and that's when Pahokee started to take care of the ball!!!! Should've been an easy win that day, but the the ball bounced Trinity's way and they capitalized like good teams should!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of playing the backups, why is it that coaches feel that it's an all-or-nothing proposition?   So many times, I see a coach make wholesale changes, replacing the entire first string offense or defense with the entire second string offense or defense.  It would make more sense to me to switch out a few starters at a time to get the second-team guys some reps while they can still be surrounded by 6 or 7 starters.  Then put those starters back in and switch out 3 or 4 more.   Perhaps if you still have the game well in hand and have a running clock or very little time is left, you can put in the whole second unit.   But what do I know?  :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

What about their other loss to Cocoa in state? Another great game was Cocoa's first state game against Godby winning by 1 point as well. I think the score was 7-6 I have to look it up

 

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

What about their other loss to Cocoa in state? Another great game was Cocoa's first state game against Godby winning by 1 point as well. I think the score was 7-6 I have to look it up

:angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is Pahokee, who lost to Trinity Catholic in 2005.  Had they not lost that game, Pahokee could have claimed 6 state titles in a row (they won in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008).  QB Robert Love set a state title game passing record with 502 yards, and 2 different Pahokee wr's had over 150 receiving yards...yet it wasn't enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

What about their other loss to Cocoa in state? Another great game was Cocoa's first state game against Godby winning by 1 point as well. I think the score was 7-6 I have to look it up

 

9 hours ago, Pkrider1 said:

Pahokee was losing 24-7 at the half after turning over the ball twice in the first half. Got the ball on the opening drive and a perfectly thrown ball was dropped and intercepted by OTC!!!! Trinity never got complacent because they never stopped Pahokee or never moved the ball efficiently on them!!!!They got down 30-7 in the 3rd and that's when Pahokee started to take care of the ball!!!! Should've been an easy win that day, but the the ball bounced Trinity's way and they capitalized like good teams should!!!!

I'm not doubting you but as I remember Pahokee did not score in the first half and I do believe that the Celtics were up 30-0 at the half. That is why I believed, from the stands, that Trinity had to get complacent being up that much at the half. Unfortunately Maxpreps only has the final Box Score and not the scoring by quarters. If you have the scoring by quarters, and it was 24-7, then I stand corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

 

I'm not doubting you but as I remember Pahokee did not score in the first half and I do believe that the Celtics were up 30-0 at the half. That is why I believed, from the stands, that Trinity had to get complacent being up that much at the half. Unfortunately Maxpreps only has the final Box Score and not the scoring by quarters. If you have the scoring by quarters, and it was 24-7, then I stand corrected.

It was 24-7 at the half.  Don't worry, lots of our minds are fading LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...