Quantcast

Analysis of Maxpreps Team Schedule Progress

With only seven weeks remaining until Kick-off Classic weekend, I'm starting to get antsy about the limited amount football schedules we are seeing. Taking a look at the progress shown on Max Preps' website, I checked out Florida's 560+ teams to see what was up. This is what I've found. 

124 schools (about 1/4) have 10 game schedules with no conflicts.

45 schools show they are playing multiple opponents on the same day. Subsequently, this affects another 90 schools who are listed as opponents on those dates. 45 are correct and 45 will be incorrect.  The biggest culprits are Island Coast, Lehigh, Lafayette and Keswick Christian but there are 41 other schools also playing two teams at the same time.  

18 schools do not have any games scheduled (Some of these are new and some may not be playing 11 man football this year)

12 schools have only 1 game scheduled

29 schools have only 2 games scheduled

31 schools have only 3 games scheduled

45 schools have only 4 games scheduled 

32 schools have only 5 games scheduled

Not counting the 18 teams with no games, this leaves 149 schools with less than 5 games scheduled. 

In summary, we have a long way to go in a very short time. Schools need to get crankin' and MaxPreps needs to get their site updated and cleaned up in a hurry.

One would think, maybe it's time to look at this as a business, because it is. I know if my company didn't know where it was going 50 days from now, heads would roll. Including mine.    

Don't know if blaming Maxpreps for inaccurate data as they are the messenger.  The old adage of garbage in, garbage out; so if you have coaches that are incompetent putting together a schedule, reporting their rosters, etc...  the kind of stuff you would look at Maxpreps for, then who is to blame.  I can only speak for one team that I follow closely and their info seems to be pretty accurate year in and year out.  To me that is more of a reflection on the staff.  Lots of player info is not finalized till just before the season starts as new players move in, player moved up or down from JV and transfers at the start of the new school year.  Here in our county most high schools seem to have lots of turnover in the football staff.  That affects getting accurate info also.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Don't know if blaming Maxpreps for inaccurate data as they are the messenger.  The old adage of garbage in, garbage out; so if you have coaches that are incompetent putting together a schedule, reporting their rosters, etc...  the kind of stuff you would look at Maxpreps for, then who is to blame.  I can only speak for one team that I follow closely and their info seems to be pretty accurate year in and year out.  To me that is more of a reflection on the staff.  Lots of player info is not finalized till just before the season starts as new players move in, player moved up or down from JV and transfers at the start of the new school year.  Here in our county most high schools seem to have lots of turnover in the football staff.  That affects getting accurate info also.

I blame them because the model they use clearly does not work. There has to be a better way of doing this. They were/are under contract to not only do the schedules but to also verify the accuracy of the RPI used to determine playoff status and seeding. I have no confidence in their ability to do this accurately. 

Darter, as we discussed many times before. I’d love to take a crack at it. I have to put them all together anyway. I just don’t have the school contact clout and authority. I’m retired so I’ll take minimum wage. Just waiting for somebody to please contact me. 

2 minutes ago, LAZ said:

Darter, as we discussed many times before. I’d love to take a crack at it. I have to put them all together anyway. I just don’t have the school contact clout and authority. I’m retired so I’ll take minimum wage. Just waiting for somebody to please contact me. 

It is my sincere belief that you would do a much better job. You love the game and love the data. And, I am sure you would be worth more than minimum wage. 

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Blame the FHSAA. They should require this info in a timely manner. Georgia can do it months ago with no issue and they only have a little less teams than us so it’s no excuse. Click this link and tell me why the FHSAA cant do this 

https://www.ghsa.net/2021-2022-ghsa-football-schedule

Nolebull, sincere question for you:  Do you know if the Georgia schools handle their own scheduling or is the scheduling done by a central source (or even a district source)?   I ask because I think Hillsborough public schools schedules are done and have been out for a while. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the responsibility of the member schools to post their schedules on MaxPreps (along with rosters and possibly stats)?   I'm just trying to understand where the system is breaking down.  Whose fault is it?  The schools?  The FHSAA's?  MaxPrep's?   Or do they all share the blame?

Osceola county coaches schedule their games, not a central administrator.  We have 8 public schools and 5 have completed schedules, one has 9 games looking for the 10th and two are at the midway point.  Both of the last 2 underwent coaching change and here is where the problems starts.  Their AD either dropped the ball as it falls back on him or they decided to wait until they fill the post to allow that person to finish drawing it up.  So I do agree with earlier comments about Maxpreps RPI system, but schedule, rosters, coaches, etc. are provided by the team.  That's why I said garbage in, garbage out - not Maxpreps fault.

The GHSA requires their member schools to submit their schedule to them by March 1st. This year and last year were the exceptions. I believe this year they had until June 1st. Teams can still find games if they need them after the deadline. They would just have to submit whatever schedule they had at that point. 

What’s so hard for the FHSAA to tell the member schools to submit their schedules? Why does the FHSAA pawn the responsibility off to Maxpreps who is the king of fake news. I don’t believe there are this many incompetent coaches that post this much inaccurate garbage 

35 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

At one point - and who knows if was ever enforced - the FHSAA had it in the rules that if you didn't get it in by I think it was March 31 you got fined $50. 

A whole $50???? :lol: You can see how well that would work.