Jump to content

Playoff breakdown by county


nolebull813
 Share

Recommended Posts

This isn’t meant to smack talk or brag. It is just for fun and to see how all the counties progress. There are 67 counties in Florida. 
 

Here are the counties that did not have any participants in the playoffs this year 

 

Franklin 

Jefferson 

Taylor 

Suwannee 

Dixie 

Hamilton

Flagler 

Okeechobee 

Hardee

Desoto 

Citrus 

Glades

Monroe 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Counties with 1 team 

 

Santa Rosa (Gulf Breeze)

Holmes (Holmes County)

Washington (Chipley)

Calhoun (Blountstown)

Liberty (Liberty County)

Wakulla (Wakulla)

Madison (Madison County)

Lafayette (Lafayette)

Gilchrist (Trenton)

Levy (Chiefland)

Bradford (Bradford County)

Union (Union County)

Baker (Baker County)

Nassau (Hilliard)

Putnam (Crescent City)

Osecola (Osceola)

Indian River (Vero Beach)

Hendry (Clewiston)

Martin (Martin County)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gee, it's almost like the larger the population of the county and, thus, the more schools in the county, the more schools in that county make the playoffs.   B)

Good work Nolebull.  All kidding aside, it would be interesting to see how county population correlates with the number of teams in the playoffs.  I imagine there's some dis-proportionality in some places, but it appears there is a correlation between population and number of teams in the playoffs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Gee, it's almost like the larger the population of the county and, thus, the more schools in the county, the more schools in that county make the playoffs.   B)

Good work Nolebull.  All kidding aside, it would be interesting to see how county population correlates with the number of teams in the playoffs.  I imagine there's some dis-proportionality in some places, but it appears there is a correlation between population and number of teams in the playoffs.  

So madison is the best at making home grown talent in Florida correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Gee, it's almost like the larger the population of the county and, thus, the more schools in the county, the more schools in that county make the playoffs.   B)

Good work Nolebull.  All kidding aside, it would be interesting to see how county population correlates with the number of teams in the playoffs.  I imagine there's some dis-proportionality in some places, but it appears there is a correlation between population and number of teams in the playoffs.  

I have praised Polk in previous threads for their annual representation in the playoffs as they are an adjoining county to Osceola.  Using that reference to answer Perspective's question, Polk has double the population of Osceola but is represented by 10 teams while Osceola has 1.  Solid football in Polk throughout the county but not so much in ours.  During a state championship final I heard an announcer quote a stat the Osceola Kowboy football had roughly 45 playoff "WINS" while the other combined schools (8) had maybe 4 or 5.  Pitiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Gee, it's almost like the larger the population of the county and, thus, the more schools in the county, the more schools in that county make the playoffs.   B)

Good work Nolebull.  All kidding aside, it would be interesting to see how county population correlates with the number of teams in the playoffs.  I imagine there's some dis-proportionality in some places, but it appears there is a correlation between population and number of teams in the playoffs.  

Here you go!  Population base on 2020 census numbers:

County    Population    # Playoff Teams
Miami-Dade    2701767    17
Broward    1944375    19
Palm Beach    1492191    15
Hillsborough    1459762    15
Orange    1429908    13
Duval    995567    14
Pinellas    959107    10
Lee    760822    8
Polk    725046    10
Brevard    606612    8
Pasco    561891    6
Volusia    553543    4
Seminole    470856    3
Sarasota    434006    3
Manatee    399710    2
Osceola    388656    1
Lake    383956    3
Marion    375908    5
Collier    375752    4
St. Lucie    329226    4
Escambia    321905    3
Leon    292198    5
Alachua    278468    5
St. Johns    273425    2
Clay    218245    2
Okaloosa    211668    3
Hernando    194515    2
Santa Rosa    188000    1
Charlotte    186847    2
Bay    175216    2
Indian River    159788    1
Martin    158431    1
Citrus    153843    0
Sumter    129752    3
Flagler    115378    0
Highlands    101235    2
Nassau    90352    1
Monroe    82874    0
Walton    75305    3
Putnam    73321    1
Columbia    69698    2
Jackson    47319    2
Gadsden    43826    2
Suwannee    43474    0
Levy    42915    1
Okeechobee    39644    0
Hendry    39619    1
DeSoto    33976    0
Wakulla    33764    1
Bradford    28303    1
Baker    28259    1
Hardee    25327    0
Washington    25318    1
Taylor    21796    0
Holmes    19653    1
Madison    17968    1
Gilchrist    17864    1
Dixie    16759    0
Union    16147    1
Jefferson    14510    0
Gulf    14192    2
Hamilton    14004    0
Calhoun    13648    1
Franklin    12451    0
Glades    12126    0
Lafayette    8226    1
Liberty    7974    1
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

So madison is the best at making home grown talent in Florida correct?

A couple of observations. 

100% of Madison County's high schools made the playoffs.  All one of them.  B)

Speaking of numbers, I picked out five 8A schools:  Apopka, Seminole (Sanford), South Dade, Timber Creek and Western.   When you add the student populations from those five schools (based on the 2020 numbers), you get a total of 17,986 students . . . which is 18 more people than the entire population of Madison County (17,968). 

Somehow a county with 5,000 fewer people than Madison County has two schools that made the playoffs.  Kudos to Gulf County. 

Two counties (Citrus and Flagler) with populations exceeding 100,000 got skunked. 

More to come . . . maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Perspective said:

A couple of observations. 

100% of Madison County's high schools made the playoffs.  All one of them.  B)

Speaking of numbers, I picked out five 8A schools:  Apopka, Seminole (Sanford), South Dade, Timber Creek and Western.   When you add the student populations from those five schools (based on the 2020 numbers), you get a total of 17,986 students . . . which is 18 more people than the entire population of Madison County (17,968). 

Somehow a county with 5,000 fewer people than Madison County has two schools that made the playoffs.  Kudos to Gulf County. 

Two counties (Citrus and Flagler) with populations exceeding 100,000 got skunked. 

More to come . . . maybe. 

I don't understand what is your point 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't understand what is your point 

I was not making a point as much as I was making a couple of observations (thus, the lead in language in my post).  The only real point I would make about Madison County is that it is a small county (from a population standpoint), it only has one high school and it's a small one.  Nevertheless, it has had remarkable success over the years in football, especially for its class that it plays in.  That's it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I was not making a point as much as I was making a couple of observations (thus, the lead in language in my post).  The only real point I would make about Madison County is that it is a small county (from a population standpoint), it only has one high school and it's a small one.  Nevertheless, it has had remarkable success over the years in football, especially for its class that it plays in.  That's it. 

Yeah 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

I have praised Polk in previous threads for their annual representation in the playoffs as they are an adjoining county to Osceola.  Using that reference to answer Perspective's question, Polk has double the population of Osceola but is represented by 10 teams while Osceola has 1.  Solid football in Polk throughout the county but not so much in ours.  During a state championship final I heard an announcer quote a stat the Osceola Kowboy football had roughly 45 playoff "WINS" while the other combined schools (8) had maybe 4 or 5.  Pitiful.

You give Polk too much credit.  Believe it or not, Polk is a shell of it's former self.  It's not for lack of talent but county growth and evolution has definitely taken a toll.  More growth has led to a dilution of talent.  More sprawl thins out that talent even more by way of more public schools and even the emergence of area private schools.  The killer attitude that I remember growing up is not the same thing that I see today.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I'm simply saying that I just don't see it.  Maybe it's my absence as I left in '94.  There was a time that Polk ran I-4/Central Florida.  The hell with Hillsborough, Orange and anyone else.  Pinellas, LMAO.  Not so much these days.  The gap is no longer is wide as it once was which is good for football.  Story for another day.

Regarding Osceola County, look at it like this.  Don't compare Osceola to Polk.  Polk has 10 teams this week and worse case could be out completely by week 3.  So what Osceola only has 1 team in the playoffs.  It only takes one team to win a title which Osceola has done and made it to the big dance repeatedly.  Find solace in that Osceola has done more with less.  Need a pick me up!  Look at Orange County.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying Orange is horrible but if you think I'm kidding, look up historical matchups between Orange and neighboring counties.  Orange County has routinely underperformed with arguably one of the easier paths to the finals.  The route to the finals in the largest class in the north has routinely gone through the Orlando area and Jacksonville.  We all know who runs Duval county so that's not worth discussing.  Statistically by comparison, Orange County in 8A alone almost has the same advantage to get to the title game much like when Miami-Dade did in 6A back in the day when they occupied a region and a half in the playoffs.  However, Orange also has a chance to do what no other county has ever done since the advent of the FHSAA which is play another county for a title.  That's simultaneously awesome as hell and a fiasco.   The point is that Osceola is Osceola.  You all are good.  Alright, I'm done with my rant.  

The views and opinions expressed are those of the Nulli Secundus and do not reflect Lakeland Senior High School or school moto, Polk County or any posters affiliated with any of the aforementioned entities or personas.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

You give Polk too much credit.  Believe it or not, Polk is a shell of it's former self.  It's not for lack of talent but county growth and evolution has definitely taken a toll.  More growth has led to a dilution of talent.  More sprawl thins out that talent even more by way of more public schools and even the emergence of area private schools.  The killer attitude that I remember growing up is not the same thing that I see today.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I'm simply saying that I just don't see it.  Maybe it's my absence as I left in '94.  There was a time that Polk ran I-4/Central Florida.  The hell with Hillsborough, Orange and anyone else.  Pinellas, LMAO.  Not so much these days.  The gap is no longer is wide as it once was which is good for football.  Story for another day.

Regarding Osceola County, look at it like this.  Don't compare Osceola to Polk.  Polk has 10 teams this week and worse case could be out completely by week 3.  So what Osceola only has 1 team in the playoffs.  It only takes one team to win a title which Osceola has done and made it to the big dance repeatedly.  Find solace in that Osceola has done more with less.  Need a pick me up!  Look at Orange County.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying Orange is horrible but if you think I'm kidding, look up historical matchups between Orange and neighboring counties.  Orange County has routinely underperformed with arguably one of the easier paths to the finals.  The route to the finals in the largest class in the north has routinely gone through the Orlando area and Jacksonville.  We all know who runs Duval county so that's not worth discussing.  Statistically by comparison, Orange County in 8A alone almost has the same advantage to get to the title game much like when Miami-Dade did in 6A back in the day when they occupied a region and a half in the playoffs.  However, Orange also has a chance to do what no other county has ever done since the advent of the FHSAA which is play another county for a title.  That's simultaneously awesome as hell and a fiasco.   The point is that Osceola is Osceola.  You all are good.  Alright, I'm done with my rant.  

The views and opinions expressed are those of the Nulli Secundus and do not reflect Lakeland Senior High School or school moto, Polk County or any posters affiliated with any of the aforementioned entities or personas.  :D

I think you are being too hard on Orange County. No, it is not a top flight football county, but the game is being played at a much higher level now than it was when I first started watching back in 1998. Back then, if we got a team to the third round that would have been an accomplishment. Now, it is not at all unusual to place at least one team in the state finals and in 2019 we actually place three: Edgewater, Apopka and Jones. And though none won a title, all three were competitive and it is arguable that both Apopka and Edgewater should have won. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Wow, didn't figure most would pick up on that.

Bob Dylan is an extremely talented artist; he was one of my grandfathers’ favorite musicians. Although I may be more in tune with bands of the early 2000’s, I myself as well as many in my family would agree that Dylan is always a pleasure to listen to. Certainly better than whatever crap they play on the radio today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I predicted 5A-9 was a terrible district yet got *four* teams into the playoff and they collectively went 1-3 in round one, with the sole win a 24-21 over a 3-7 Tampa Chamberlain team by 7-3 Nature Coast Tech.  There were much stronger teams (e.g. 5-4 Port Charlotte) that didnt make it into the 5A playoffs because the RPI formula favors districts in weak geographic regions.  The RPI kept out a lot of good teams that played hard schedules but had close losses to power teams while rewarding those who played weaker schedules but piled up wins

I've thought about this and I think a better solution is to have more districts, keep the RPI, but limit districts to no more than 2 teams.  You could also make an exception to this rule by taking a third team from a district in the rare instance they are 0.1+ higher RPI than a second place team in another district, thus having a provision to account for the extremely strong districts that might occur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...