Jump to content

DISTRICT ALIGNMENT (2022)


THIS_IS_DILLARD
 Share

Recommended Posts


The FHSAA "reclassifies" all teams on a 2-year cycle based on student enrollment.  The exception was last year when a 1-year reclassification was used because of the impact of the pandemic on school enrollment.  The upcoming reclassification will be for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years.  District assignments are then determined based on geographic factors, similar-sized districts, etc.  "Revamping" the classification system would indeed require Board approval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr. D said:

The FHSAA "reclassifies" all teams on a 2-year cycle based on student enrollment.  The exception was last year when a 1-year reclassification was used because of the impact of the pandemic on school enrollment.  The upcoming reclassification will be for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years.  District assignments are then determined based on geographic factors, similar-sized districts, etc.  "Revamping" the classification system would indeed require Board approval.

But we are still going through a pandemic so it would be interesting to see how it unfolds 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Fall 2021 school enrollment report that reclassification will be based on is available on the FHSAA website.  Using the enrollment standards for the 2021 season, one can get a general idea of which classification a particular high school will fall into for the upcoming season.  A school near a cutoff line could move up (or down) when the new classifications are released.  District assignments are more difficult to predict. 

2021 Classifications:   8A: (2,356+);   7A: (1,924 – 2,355);   6A: (1,582 – 1,923);   5A: (1,137 – 1,581);   4A: (740 – 1,136);   3A: (361 -739);   2A: (360 & below);   1A: (600 & below and Rural Designation)

For example, Dillard reports a student enrollment of 1,955.  They are most likely to be classified as 7A, but there is a chance they could fall to 6A if the cutoff lines shift upward a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

The Fall 2021 school enrollment report that reclassification will be based on is available on the FHSAA website.  Using the enrollment standards for the 2021 season, one can get a general idea of which classification a particular high school will fall into for the upcoming season.  A school near a cutoff line could move up (or down) when the new classifications are released.  District assignments are more difficult to predict. 

2021 Classifications:   8A: (2,356+);   7A: (1,924 – 2,355);   6A: (1,582 – 1,923);   5A: (1,137 – 1,581);   4A: (740 – 1,136);   3A: (361 -739);   2A: (360 & below);   1A: (600 & below and Rural Designation)

For example, Dillard reports a student enrollment of 1,955.  They are most likely to be classified as 7A, but there is a chance they could fall to 6A if the cutoff lines shift upward a bit.

Oh wow I don’t know why I thought we were in the 2000’s by now , that’s a very low population given our high school being one of the biggest high schools in the entire state of Florida. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Football Advisory Committee meets today.  They have a pretty lengthy agenda...

https://fhsaa.com/documents/2022/1/3//2021.pdf?id=2356

Classification Action Item:

Item Description (Short) Metro/Non-Metro Background Information This was discussed last year and was approved by the FBAC as a discussion item. This would allow for a more competitive balance in State Championships. In the last 10 years, 89% of all state championships have come from the 8 highest Metro areas in Florida. This year only 1A (no metro schools are in the class) and 8A state champions were not from a metro area. When polled in our Section 2, over 70% of coaches would like to see some measure of competitive balance instituted in our classification system.

Recommendation When classifying, the FHSAA needs to separate Metro/Non-Metro and then make classifications from those divisions. The rural division will not be touched. the remaining schools will be divided into even classifications with districts.

Rationale This will allow competitive balance in championships. When talking about the State of Florida with 67 counties and just 8 counties make up 89% of the state championships, it shows there is a imbalance of competitiveness in how things are done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CoachMcG1 said:

The Football Advisory Committee meets today.  They have a pretty lengthy agenda...

https://fhsaa.com/documents/2022/1/3//2021.pdf?id=2356

Classification Action Item:

Item Description (Short) Metro/Non-Metro Background Information This was discussed last year and was approved by the FBAC as a discussion item. This would allow for a more competitive balance in State Championships. In the last 10 years, 89% of all state championships have come from the 8 highest Metro areas in Florida. This year only 1A (no metro schools are in the class) and 8A state champions were not from a metro area. When polled in our Section 2, over 70% of coaches would like to see some measure of competitive balance instituted in our classification system.

Recommendation When classifying, the FHSAA needs to separate Metro/Non-Metro and then make classifications from those divisions. The rural division will not be touched. the remaining schools will be divided into even classifications with districts.

Rationale This will allow competitive balance in championships. When talking about the State of Florida with 67 counties and just 8 counties make up 89% of the state championships, it shows there is a imbalance of competitiveness in how things are done

Jon Santucci recently wrote an interesting piece in the Palm Beach Post about the 3 factors that should be used to determine "Classifications".  #1 with like 50% weight geographical population in 20 mile radius, #2 with like 25% weight would be school enrollment number and #3 with 25% weight would be pubic vs private.  Thought it to be very well conceived given the transfer situation in competitive balance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alabama uses an interesting approach to address "competitive balance" in the classification process.  First, a 1.35 enrollment multiplier is applied to all private schools to compensate for their perceived competitive advantage.  Second, private schools (but not public schools) are "promoted" up one classification depending how far they progress in the state playoffs in a two-year period.  Based on today's agenda, the Football Advisory Committee is at least considering similar ideas to address competitive balance.  Will be interesting to see if any significant recommendations are forthcoming.

https://www.ahsaa.com/Portals/0/PDF's/AHSAA/AHSAA/Re-Classification/2022-2024/Competitive Balance/CBF Updated September 2021.pdf?ver=Rh7qt2ykO_wFbo_iS-JHIw%3d%3d&timestamp=1639580015920

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...