Projecting out the 2024 & 2025 FHSAA football classifications and districts

Joshua Wilson

Hey everyone!

Spent some time on this since the vote happened last week and I have projected out what the classifications and districts could look like based on the enrollment numbers from the FHSAA.

You can read more here: https://floridahsfootball.com/2023/12/19/projecting-out-the-2024-2025-fhsaa-football-classifications-and-districts/

3 hours ago, 181pl said:

7 classes still too many. just separate the private schools and call it a day…

Need to get rid of Rural and place them in there respective classifications but have it set up to where their districts are the teams they normally played while in 1R and if they don't want that then they can go independent

16 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Still lots of 3-team districts in a 16-district model, so that's probably the one the FHSAA will go with.  Too bad an 8-district set-up won't be considered, but even a 12-district alignment would be an improvement.   Thanks for the work, Joshua. 

The 12 district model there is a lot of travel for district games. I could see some schools in the panhandle complain. 

Yes, there are a few cases with significant travel.  In some cases, proposed district foes are already playing one another in non-district games.  I would say that travel anywhere between Pensacola and Tallahassee is accepted as the cost of doing business in the panhandle.  And there is a tradeoff when you campaign for larger districts and the larger number of guaranteed games that comes with that.  In the old days, schools could petition to play up/down due to travel issues, but don't know if that would be allowed now.

1 hour ago, Dr. D said:

Yes, there are a few cases with significant travel.  In some cases, proposed district foes are already playing one another in non-district games.  I would say that travel anywhere between Pensacola and Tallahassee is accepted as the cost of doing business in the panhandle.  And there is a tradeoff when you campaign for larger districts and the larger number of guaranteed games that comes with that.  In the old days, schools could petition to play up/down due to travel issues, but don't know if that would be allowed now.

Going off Josh's projections there was a district with  a 6 hour and a 5 hour trip. That was eye opening

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Need to get rid of Rural and place them in there respective classifications but have it set up to where their districts are the teams they normally played while in 1R and if they don't want that then they can go independent

whos paying for their transportation?  you?  easy to say do this do that, but if your less than 500 kids in a school whats friday night football gate look like?  possibly packed, yes, but those funds pay for most other non revenue sports(swimming, tennis, etc).  so a 5 hour bus ride is expensive

1 hour ago, smashmouth80 said:

Going off Josh's projections there was a district with  a 6 hour and a 5 hour trip. That was eye opening

This is only Josh's excellent, but unofficial version of what is to come.  They could just leave the affected teams in a 3-team district, even in a 12-district set-up.  But travel was bound to be more of an issue when they went away from the Metro-Suburban model.  Which is another reason I think the FHSAA will stick with a 16-district alignment, as it mitigates the travel issue a little.   But we should know soon enough. 

2 hours ago, h8r said:

whos paying for their transportation?  you?  easy to say do this do that, but if your less than 500 kids in a school whats friday night football gate look like?  possibly packed, yes, but those funds pay for most other non revenue sports(swimming, tennis, etc).  so a 5 hour bus ride is expensive

Never said I would or mentioned transpor. But it seems like you glossed over the portion where I said to have their district games be teams they normally play already in 1R or pretty much the schedules they've been playing. So with that travel wouldn't be an issue since they are already playing those games and if they aren't able to make it happen then they have the option of going independent. 

7 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

What’s wrong with the rural class? I say just let them be. None of them could make any noise in any other class with what we’re headed back to (maybe Madison/Hawthorne). 

Since the start of rural in about 2011, it’s actually had good competitive balance. I think 8 different schools have won a state title. 

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

Never said I would or mentioned transpor. But it seems like you glossed over the portion where I said to have their district games be teams they normally play already in 1R or pretty much the schedules they've been playing. So with that travel wouldn't be an issue since they are already playing those games and if they aren't able to make it happen then they have the option of going independent. 

not gonna lie, i did look over that,

however,

whats the point if they are going to play those teams anyways?  why not just let that dog lie and leave the one thing the fhsaa has actually done right for a change....

15 hours ago, h8r said:

not gonna lie, i did look over that,

however,

whats the point if they are going to play those teams anyways?  why not just let that dog lie and leave the one thing the fhsaa has actually done right for a change....

Well I guess they could leave it idk maybe it's just the rural name that gets me still. Could just make it 1A and have the rest of the classes start at 2A