0-9 Gadsden is Playoff Worthy

181pl

According to the FHSAA and its defenders on this forum...

Gadsden County 30.67

Home L Leon 

Home L Mosley

Away L Rickards 

Home L Wakulla 

Away L Florida High 

Away L Marianna 

Away L Chiles  

Home L Eastside 

Away L Gulf Breeze

Anyone ready to start firing away excuses????? LAZL, Darter, anyone?

Just stop and think about that for a second. And say it slow. 

An 0-9 team made the playoffs because they beat a 4-5 team at a coin flip. 

This is the worst trash system we ever had since Pensacola High played the first game in state history in 1905. 

Josh should be in the ear. Silence is complicity 

16 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Just stop and think about that for a second. And say it slow. 

An 0-9 team made the playoffs because they beat a 4-5 team at a coin flip. 

This is the worst trash system we ever had since Pensacola High played the first game in state history in 1905. 

Josh should be in the ear. Silence is complicity 

We had a winless FAMU team clinch playoffs before a game was even played and a 1-9 Eastside team get in playoffs while a 4 time state champion sat at home on old system

The old one isn't any better 

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We had a winless FAMU team clinch playoffs before a game was even played and a 1-9 Eastside team get in playoffs while a 4 time state champion sat at home on old system

The old one isn't any better 

For the million and first time, you pick those two teams out because they were in a 2 and 3 team district. That is FHSAA'S fault for allowing teams to move out of districts. This system was designed to prevent that and it has failed miserably despite everyone telling them that it would. What is worse a flaw or a flaw that is designed to fix the flaw but makes the matters worse?

4-5 years ago maybe more, they floated an idea that teams would gain points for each win an opponent had. I had to show them that a winless Creekside would make playoffs. They realized system sucked. They make changes without showing what will happen.

There is ZERO reason that a Winless team should be in playoffs, the fact that you defend the system means you are okay with this result.

38 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

For the million and first time, you pick those two teams out because they were in a 2 and 3 team district. That is FHSAA'S fault for allowing teams to move out of districts. This system was designed to prevent that and it has failed miserably despite everyone telling them that it would. What is worse a flaw or a flaw that is designed to fix the flaw but makes the matters worse?

4-5 years ago maybe more, they floated an idea that teams would gain points for each win an opponent had. I had to show them that a winless Creekside would make playoffs. They realized system sucked. They make changes without showing what will happen.

There is ZERO reason that a Winless team should be in playoffs, the fact that you defend the system means you are okay with this result.

Is it the fhsaa fault for caving in to keep schools from going independent because they aren't handed a easy path or are the schools just lazy and don't want to earn their spot and would want it handed then pretend they badass when they in playoffs, well until they face a real badass and get ran off the field 

And I never said this system was perfect, it has some tweaks to be made but I at least like the direction they heading and the fact they are willing to try something new when it was clear the old system was out of date

The biggest issues are coming from the poor alignment that was in place prior to the system, if they were to go to 2 regions in 1-4a instead of 4 regions then the regions won't have so many weak teams making playoffs that and adjusting some districts in the large classifications will make the system more effective 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Is it the fhsaa fault for caving in to keep schools from going independent because they aren't handed a easy path or are the schools just lazy and don't want to earn their spot and would want it handed then pretend they badass when they in playoffs, well until they face a real badass and get ran off the field 

And I never said this system was perfect, it has some tweaks to be made but I at least like the direction they heading and the fact they are willing to try something new when it was clear the old system was out of date

The biggest issues are coming from the poor alignment that was in place prior to the system, if they were to go to 2 regions in 1-4a instead of 4 regions then the regions won't have so many weak teams making playoffs that and adjusting some districts in the large classifications will make the system more effective 

Fine, we put 5-5 Keystone Heights who didn't beat a single team with a winning record or 5-5 Mount Dora who beat 2 0-10 teams and a 5-4 team. Say it slowly, no way 6 teams should be in from any of 1A-4A.

For a person who values playing GHS (who i dont think has been in CHS's football district in over a decade) and kickoff classics. You seemed to get pretty hype for them not counting. Try and tell you wouldn't have the same crowd for that Madison County whether it counted for playoffs or not or Suwannee. 

All team sports play non districts games and find ways to hype themselves up. Why is football any different? You want all games to count, fine but why should a game that I have no control over being played at Redondo Union (California) matter if a team makes playoff.

People want to go to games that interesting because they are competitive. The problem is the FHSAA treated the symptom and not the cause. Games should be exciting because two evenly matched teams play.

As I sit here and listen to when @ColumbiaHighFan2017class Speaks about teams who act like their bad ass then get ran off the field by a “real bad ass” it brings to question since when did u have to be nationally good or top 20 state good in order to be deemed good ? 

That’s the problem right there everyone can’t be nationally ranked or even state ranked just like every fighter can’t be heavy weights.

but yet and still in every level of fighting there is a CHAMPIONSHIP wether it’s heavy weight or feather weight.

if u ask me the FHSAA should implement that same type of system ....implement a HEAVY WEIGHT CLASS INTERMEDIATE CLASS LIGHT CLASS AND FEATHER WEIGHT CLASS

and all the teams that’s left over make them independent and let them have their own championship as well.

for most of those kids wether they won or runner up it would stick with them for a lifetime.

at the end of the day wether these kids are nationally ranked or not they still had to get up practice hard and ply hard unless games are just given to u now but if their not no matter what the other teams ranking is they still had to play to get that win.

9 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Fine, we put 5-5 Keystone Heights who didn't beat a single team with a winning record or 5-5 Mount Dora who beat 2 0-10 teams and a 5-4 team. Say it slowly, no way 6 teams should be in from any of 1A-4A.

For a person who values playing GHS (who i dont think has been in CHS's football district in over a decade) and kickoff classics. You seemed to get pretty hype for them not counting. Try and tell you wouldn't have the same crowd for that Madison County whether it counted for playoffs or not or Suwannee. 

All team sports play non districts games and find ways to hype themselves up. Why is football any different? You want all games to count, fine but why should a game that I have no control over being played at Redondo Union (California) matter if a team makes playoff.

People want to go to games that interesting because they are competitive. The problem is the FHSAA treated the symptom and not the cause. Games should be exciting because two evenly matched teams play.

My concern with smaller districts is not due to a problem of teams not being able to get hyped up.  It's certainly not a problem for the coaches and players, regardless of opponent.  And many non-district games in past and present are/were some of the more intriguing matchups.  I would need to some attendance data to be convinced it's a "problem"  for the fans. 

As districts and regions got broken up over time, many teams maintained formal and informal rivalries through non-district matchups.  When a team was playing the team 2 miles down the road in a non-district matchup in the 90's, I guarantee you the team was up and fans were excited, because that team was often a district opponent at some time in the past.   

One could easily debate that we have lost the intensity we used to have in district matchups, now that we have teams with losing records in district play, ie 1-4 Coconut Creek, making the playoffs.  Kids come home after a district loss and instead of focusing on what they did to lose, they are gawking at the computer screen looking at what everyone else did and, in some cases, saying "Phew, well that loss didn't hurt us so much because..."   

On many fronts in today's society, we are spending far too much time worrying about what "the other guy" is doing instead of looking inwardly.  The new system perpetuates that. IMO, that is one of its biggest flaws.  In the real world, when you screw up, there is not a points system to bail you out and make you feel better.  When I am screwing up on a project at work, I don't tell my boss, "Well look at what the other guy is doing.  He's even worse."  

8 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I would be fine with 1-4a going back to 4 teams,  if it wasn't for BTW missing last year then the changes likely wouldn't have been made

It may not affect how many show up whether the game counted or not but there is very little incentive to make sure the game happens, like this year with that storm that blasted us during Gainesville game,  if it wasn't for point system they would have probably made no attempt to reschedule because it would have just been deemed "a meaningless non-conference game"

Yes you are right, I want a game like Gainesville to count towards playoffs, I've always felt that every game should count, it's done at every level why not high school?

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I would be fine with 1-4a going back to 4 teams,  if it wasn't for BTW missing last year then the changes likely wouldn't have been made

The problem you and many others have is you are unwilling to value wins objectively, lmo.  You skew things toward you preconceived notions, without looking at things in the whole. Any system that values a win against 1a baker and columbia the same is beyond dumb. You rail against teams gaming the system. Well now you know how it will be done in the future.

2 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

And i think there can be ways to fix that (perhaps giving bonus points for winning against teams of a higher classification)

However they should limit that playing up to 1-4a

I don't think a 7a team should get any bonus points for playing a 8a team or a 6a team getting any bonus for playing a 7a or 8a team and well you get the idea 

Why the hell not I promise you a win at Columbia is harder for a 6a school than a win against baker. A fair system would reflect that. But guys thinking like you is what's really wrong. You don't want a system that reflects the value systematically and objectively. You want to preserve this match up or that. Let me tell you I don't care if Madison/suwanee ever plays Columbia again and trying to save those games should not influence the playoff structure in any way.

Look a 0-10 team making the playoffs or BTW not making the playoffs is not the problem with Florida hs football. The transfer deal is the problem. No one wants to address it but it is killing hs football.

26 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

Why the hell not I promise you a win at Columbia is harder for a 6a school than a win against baker. A fair system would reflect that. But guys thinking like you is what's really wrong. You don't want a system that reflects the value systematically and objectively. You want to preserve this match up or that. Let me tell you I don't care if Madison/suwanee ever plays Columbia again and trying to save those games should not influence the playoff structure in any way.

Look a 0-10 team making the playoffs or BTW not making the playoffs is not the problem with Florida hs football. The transfer deal is the problem. No one wants to address it but it is killing hs football.

can't stop it.  Legislation got there way.

21 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

Using your logic a team like bartram trail would be better off playing Colonial then playing Columbia 

A 6a or 7a school playing one another is not a huge gap neither is a 7a school playing a 8a school

Lee and Fletcher are as good as Sandalwood is if not better but using that logic we should do whatever we can to play Sandalwood instead of those 2

And I've said it before, these metros were getting transfers before the new rules but if you had to watch your team play jacksonville schools as often as Columbia has you would know this

Jacksonville has very loose rules for moving schools so even without the transfer rules you could easily switch schools and fhsaa wouldn't bat a eye,  yet in rural areas (like Columbia) you have to go by the book policy since it isn't as easy to get a transfer in here

27 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

I've been trying for 3 years to convince them to drop Suwannee and if i was in charge of the schedule we would have dropped them after going to Live Oak in 2015 and winning 45-7

But I'm not in charge of the schedule and Madison would beat a lot of weak 8a teams that your idea would give us bonus points for playing (like feuguson and colonial) despite Madison having 600 and those 2 having over 4k kids

Why?  Because talent isn't always evenly distributed in large metro areas which is the real cause of such lack of balance in these classifications 

1 minute ago, badbird said:

class size doesn't matter.  no bonus points should be given.  

Trinity Christian has enrollment of like what?  500? 600?

Yet they would blast a lot of schools with 2k+ kids

There are plenty of schools like this in Florida because so many metros get super teams as all the talent wants to go to a few select schools 

Jacksonville is a primer example of this art

1 minute ago, Phfootball9 said:

You are wrong. Cite all the exceptions you like bigger schools are on the whole better than smaller Scholes with the same record.

Start with Trinity Christian or Chaminade Madonna or raines

There are plenty of large schools with equal or better records i would not favor against them

Yes size of school does matter in most cases but it's far from being a hard rule 

Just now, Phfootball9 said:

You are wrong. Cite all the exceptions you like bigger schools are on the whole better than smaller Scholes with the same record.

Sure but that doesn't mean just because you play a bigger school you should get more points.  Part of the problem with this system is the bonus points for playoff teams from 2 to 3 years ago.  Should you get 3 points next year because you schedule 0-9 Gadsden?