Cocoa vs Cardinal Gibbons

84Tigergrad

8 minutes ago, 84Tigergrad said:

What do south florida fans think  about this game ?  

2 super tested teams. Both play full 4 qtrs. No lead is safe against either team. Both defenses give up some points. Coaching on both teams is super. Looks pretty even to me. 
What u think? 

49 minutes ago, Jullian said:

2 super tested teams. Both play full 4 qtrs. No lead is safe against either team. Both defenses give up some points. Coaching on both teams is super. Looks pretty even to me. 
What u think? 

Cocoa usually starts out slow so they will have to start out on all cylinders starting early and play mistake free. But they are definitely on a revenge tour

Cocoa's D-line was very small last year, we had two guys under 200lbs on the line then. This years D-line average size is 265 lb across the line.. Cardinal Gibbons dominated in the trenches last year. I've been a major Cocoa fan since the 80's. This years 6 ft 5 QB is the best I've seen since the 2009 and 2010 QB. Plus he has 5 D1  receivers to throw to. This doesn't mean DJ Arroyo the quarterback for the last four years wasn't any good, he was just too short 5 ft 7. But Cocoa Coaches came up with great schemes for him as well , He ended up with over 8000 passing yards in 4 yrs.

6 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Cocoa usually starts out slow so they will have to start out on all cylinders starting early and play mistake free. But they are definitely on a revenge tour

Cocoa is going to have to play a really solid game to come away with the W. Cardinal Gibbons is loaded with talent from top to bottom. Their biggest strength on defense is that front four pass rush. They get pressure really consistently with only 4 so it would behoove Cocoa to run plays that develop quickly. Misdirection runs and Play Action slam passes could cause their pass rushers to freeze for a split second which would give the Tigers enough time to break quick passes off to keep the ball moving. The Tigers Have to avoid mistakes and turnovers that cost them field position or points because that will not be conducive to winning the ball game. 

Offensively, Cardinal Gibbons runs the ball... a lot, to say the least. The Chiefs’ front five o-line is one of the best in the state, if not the best. They hit hard and force space for their shifty backs to operate. Cocoa will need to keep at least 6 to 7 men in the box at all times and probably play some Cover 1 early to at least contain their running game and prevent them from throwing screens, swing routes, quick outs, and zips, all of which represent the cornerstone of Cardinal Gibbons’ offense. As the game wears on, Gibbons will come out of their shell and begin to throw slants, curls, and “whip” routes in order to force Cocoa out of a Cover 1 where they will take a shot. When this happens Cocoa needs to begin blitzing and playing more cover 2-3, sending 5 or 6 men at most to try to make their quarterback uncomfortable and get a turnover from them.  All of this is easier said then done but if any coach could get his kids ready for a task like this it’s Ryan Schneider. Great guy, by the way. Best of luck, @KeemD321!!

6 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Cocoa is going to have to play a really solid game to come away with the W. Cardinal Gibbons is loaded with talent from top to bottom. Their biggest strength on defense is that front four pass rush. They get pressure really consistently with only 4 so it would behoove Cocoa to run plays that develop quickly. Misdirection runs and Play Action slam passes could cause their pass rushers to freeze for a split second which would give the Tigers enough time to break quick passes off to keep the ball moving. The Tigers Have to avoid mistakes and turnovers that cost them field position or points because that will not be conducive to winning the ball game. 

Offensively, Cardinal Gibbons runs the ball... a lot, to say the least. The Chiefs’ front five o-line is one of the best in the state, if not the best. They hit hard and force space for their shifty backs to operate. Cocoa will need to keep at least 6 to 7 men in the box at all times and probably play some Cover 1 early to at least contain their running game and prevent them from throwing screens, swing routes, quick outs, and zips, all of which represent the cornerstone of Cardinal Gibbons’ offense. As the game wears on, Gibbons will come out of their shell and begin to throw slants, curls, and “whip” routes in order to force Cocoa out of a Cover 1 where they will take a shot. When this happens Cocoa needs to begin blitzing and playing more cover 2-3, sending 5 or 6 men at most to try to make their quarterback uncomfortable and get a turnover from them.  All of this is easier said then done but if any coach could get his kids ready for a task like this it’s Ryan Schneider. Great guy, by the way. Best of luck, @KeemD321!!

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Cocoa usually always sticks with man coverage throughout and throws in some wrinkles here and there. They are excellent at making halftime adjustments. Cocoa defense is a whole nother beast when it comes to second halves usually shutting out opponents completely in the second half. But hopefully they can make those adjustments from the jump. As far as their offense....pretty uptempo and live on the screens, swings, slants and bust out every now and then with deep posts or wheels. Their running game relies heavily on OJ Ross who was hurt last week but still played and made key plays in that game as well. The real battle will be the defense tho.

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Cocoa usually always sticks with man coverage throughout and throws in some wrinkles here and there. They are excellent at making halftime adjustments. Cocoa defense is a whole nother beast when it comes to second halves usually shutting out opponents completely in the second half. But hopefully they can make those adjustments from the jump. As far as their offense....pretty uptempo and live on the screens, swings, slants and bust out every now and then with deep posts or wheels. Their running game relies heavily on OJ Ross who was hurt last week but still played and made key plays in that game as well. The real battle will be the defense tho.

Their staff makes great adjustments. I'm surprised, much like Orlando Jones, how they always seem to finish the 4th quarter strong. It's like they won't be denied. They truly have the heart of a Tiger........Go 'Cats 

5 hours ago, Jullian said:

Gibbons won’t b outcoached. The last 2 weeks, their halftime adjustments have won the games. Down by 3 TD’s+ to Gulliver & double digits to Lakewood. Hope I’m wrong but have Tigers -3.5. Go Chiefs!!!!

Both teams are built on halftime adjustments. Should be a better game than last season's semifinal. If Cocoa can keep it within 28 at the half then they have a chance. If they keep it within 9 in the fourth then I believe they will win it all.

34 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Both teams are built on halftime adjustments. Should be a better game than last season's semifinal. If Cocoa can keep it within 28 at the half then they have a chance. If they keep it within 9 in the fourth then I believe they will win it all.

Break down cowboys and Hawthorne please 

So I was leaning towards Cocoa in this game until I saw that Cocoa has 1 point victories over both Vero Beach and Osceola and a 4 point victory over Dr. Phillips. I realize these games were early in the season, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence against a team like Gibbons. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Wellington said:

So I was leaning towards Cocoa in this game until I saw that Cocoa has 1 point victories over both Vero Beach and Osceola and a 4 point victory over Dr. Phillips. I realize these games were early in the season, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence against a team like Gibbons. Any thoughts?

Those games were early and the defense is relatively young besides  the secondary. All of those games were hard fought by all teams. Albeit the DR.P game should've been a wider margin of victory but things rolled differently on top of the playing conditions. To me I honestly feel like majority of the season Cocoa has played up and down towards their opponent and the fact that they've started out slowly in majority of their games heavily effected the outcome as well.

1 hour ago, Wellington said:

U talking 8a & real good teams. Think Tigers gave em their 1st loss. Tigers only loss was by 1 to 8a Venice.......DP was a head scratcher. 

6 hours ago, Jullian said:

U talking 8a & real good teams. Think Tigers gave em their 1st loss. Tigers only loss was by 1 to 8a Venice.......DP was a head scratcher. 

100% Jullian... Vero Beach, Osceola, DP, and Venice are ALL very large (8A) public schools with consistent winning programs year after year. Little 4A Cocoa wins on heart, athletes, and good coaching. Don't know if they'll beat a recuited up Broward private Catholic power, but we do know they will leave everything on the field of play. Haven't seen either team this year. I have seen all of Cocoa's  championships though. I wouldn't bet against them.     

On 12/9/2021 at 12:54 AM, Dan in Daytona said:

100% Jullian... Vero Beach, Osceola, DP, and Venice are ALL very large (8A) public schools with consistent winning programs year after year. Little 4A Cocoa wins on heart, athletes, and good coaching. Don't know if they'll beat a recuited up Broward private Catholic power, but we do know they will leave everything on the field of play. Haven't seen either team this year. I have seen all of Cocoa's  championships though. I wouldn't bet against them.     

Now now let’s not act like Cocoa doesn’t seem to get their fair share of transfers every year. Both coaching staffs do a great job 

Can't wait to see this one. I saw Cocoa against Vero, Treasure Coast and Rockledge. They have athletes, but also play with a lot of heart and don't get rattled. Their tandem of Wynder and Ross is impressive. I haven't seen Gibbons play in three years, but they have a lot of talent as well. Should be the best game of the weekend. 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:07 AM, 84Tigergrad said:

Cocoa recruits its self in brevard county. 16 years straight final 4 or finals. Its like the Field of Dreams if you build a winning program  they will come.

Cocoa don’t recruit… players show up every offseason wanting to be part of a college like program. Wilk started it and Ryan continues the winning tradition. 

1 hour ago, LetsGo said:

Cocoa don’t recruit… players show up every offseason wanting to be part of a college like program. Wilk started it and Ryan continues the winning tradition. 

Not so fast, Young Fan..... Gerald Odom turned the perennial flounders in to Tigers and birthed the "Winning Tradition." He also coached Wilkinson at Merritt Island and passed along his football IQ. And most certainly had imput on the Wilks HC hiring.....that's the rest of the story. 

3 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Not so fast, Young Fan..... Gerald Odom turned the perennial flounders in to Tigers and birthed the "Winning Tradition." He also coached Wilkinson at Merritt Island and passed along his football IQ. And most certainly had imput on the Wilks HC hiring.....that's the rest of the story. 

Those are facts Gerald Odom and Chuck Goldfarb were pivotal in the build of what we know Cocoa to be today.