Quantcast
Jump to content

Willie must go...


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

181, Me and some Gator boosters are raising funds to secure a "lifetime" contact for Willie at Fsu.

Its always funny when a rival fan says that a program will never be back.. Then you look at where Clemson and Bama were in the early 00's.  CFB runs in cycles... I am sure there were some overzealous

A white Mainland High (Daytona Beach) teammate of mine received a full scholarship from the Bear in 1971. His name was Gary Yelvington. Gary played safety in high school and was a star baseball player

22 hours ago, 181pl said:

ZERO F'in QB recruits in two years. Kids don't want to play for him and their not sold on his ability to grow their skills.

Sad. Shimbo the Clown could recruit them. He just couldn't coach em up. Maybe Willie can coach em up, but it don't matter because he can't recruit em. 

Tried telling you when they hired him on the other board, Willie was a fraud. His one successful year at USF could be directly related to Joe Kinnan working with him behind the scenes that year, as it was he still had an over-all losing record as a HBC. The hire never made sense to me, and I could only logically explain it as the hope was he would recruit well and not set the program back to depths that couldn't be over come by the next HBC because he could recruit. Obviously that hasn't worked out either......... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, I openly hope that FSU struggles, but FSU was a destination because of the coaches (Bobby and Jimbo), not because of the school or boosters themselves. Jimbo knew this, he tried to get the school to move in the right direction, but they were slow. As a result, they will always be a solid program because of being in the state of Florida, but a national contender on the regular (like Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma)? Those programs have bypassed them and not sure FSU will ever catch them. What makes them stand out? Of the programs in Florida, they are the furthest away from the talent bases. I doubt they can beat Bama and Auburn in that territory.


As UCF gets a larger alumni base, situated in a major city with tons of young affluent people. The popularity of UCF (and USF) will grow. FAU/FIU will never catch them, but we are going to see a changing of the guard here in Florida over the next 10 years. Do I think UCF can maintain their run? Probably not, but they just need to keep playing the nobody believes in us card enough.

---------
On a similar note, I would say Gator Basketball since Billy Donovan left is the same. Sure, they made the Elite 8 2 years ago and the Round 2 last year, but I am not sure they will even qualify this year at this rate, they are back sliding as Billy's recruits leave and Mike White hasn't done anything.

Florida Basketball has always seemed more of a creation of the coach than the program/fans itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Tried telling you when they hired him on the other board, Willie was a fraud. His one successful year at USF could be directly related to Joe Kinnan working with him behind the scenes that year, as it was he still had an over-all losing record as a HBC. The hire never made sense to me, and I could only logically explain it as the hope was he would recruit well and not set the program back to depths that couldn't be over come by the next HBC because he could recruit. Obviously that hasn't worked out either......... 

Yeah I thought recruiting was his strength but it's clear if it's his strength than he must really suck as a playcaller

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Sure, I openly hope that FSU struggles, but FSU was a destination because of the coaches (Bobby and Jimbo), not because of the school or boosters themselves. Jimbo knew this, he tried to get the school to move in the right direction, but they were slow. As a result, they will always be a solid program because of being in the state of Florida, but a national contender on the regular (like Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma)? Those programs have bypassed them and not sure FSU will ever catch them. What makes them stand out? Of the programs in Florida, they are the furthest away from the talent bases. I doubt they can beat Bama and Auburn in that territory.


As UCF gets a larger alumni base, situated in a major city with tons of young affluent people. The popularity of UCF (and USF) will grow. FAU/FIU will never catch them, but we are going to see a changing of the guard here in Florida over the next 10 years. Do I think UCF can maintain their run? Probably not, but they just need to keep playing the nobody believes in us card enough.

---------
On a similar note, I would say Gator Basketball since Billy Donovan left is the same. Sure, they made the Elite 8 2 years ago and the Round 2 last year, but I am not sure they will even qualify this year at this rate, they are back sliding as Billy's recruits leave and Mike White hasn't done anything.

Florida Basketball has always seemed more of a creation of the coach than the program/fans itself. 

UCF gets a lot of hate for the way they speak out in social media but they are in a huge talent hotbed as they are almost dead center between the Northeast FL area and the south FL area and as the central FL area continues to rise in talent they will continue to have success if they are smart with the players they bring in

 

Florida State has the ability to bring in some good talent but taggart is showing he doesn't know this state very well and FSU will suffer from it

 

The quicker they get him out and get somebody in who can actually recruit the right players in the sunshine state the better

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:


On a similar note, I would say Gator Basketball since Billy Donovan left is the same. Sure, they made the Elite 8 2 years ago and the Round 2 last year, but I am not sure they will even qualify this year at this rate, they are back sliding as Billy's recruits leave and Mike White hasn't done anything.

Florida Basketball has always seemed more of a creation of the coach than the program/fans itself. 

Another subject itself, but I would say Mike White was a bad hire and wont end well.:ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

Another subject itself, but I would say Mike White was a bad hire and wont end well.:ph34r:

Curious as to what exactly it is in your mind that makes Mike White a bad hire? Mike White's over-all record at Florida is 81-47, Billy Donovan's record over the same number of seasons and games played during his 4th season was 67-45. In fact Billy didn't even put together a winning product at Florida until his 3rd season there. Mike took the 16-17 team Billy's left him and made a 21-15 winner out of it the following season. Mike's issues this season and last season are rather easy to explain, that being no real players beyond Hayes to play in the paint. Injury's being the primary reason for that. This season he's had to put a freshman Guard and play him at the 4 position, as well as start 2 freshmen in the back court. Despite all that up until the other night against Auburn, Florida has been extremely competitive every every loss and still has and over-all winning record. Next year Florida will welcome 2 -5* and 4* power forward/center. Talk about what a failure Mike White is, to me is just plain premature,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 181pl said:

BD has national championships.

True, but it took Billy nine seasons (and a frustrating run of about five years in the early 2000's of losing to lower-seeded teams in the NCAA tournament) before he won his first National Championship. 

For me, the jury's still out on White.  The injury bug (especially to the big men) has hit the Gators hard the last few years.  I'm inclined to give White another couple of years to sink or swim.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 11:10 AM, Perspective said:

True, but it took Billy nine seasons (and a frustrating run of about five years in the early 2000's of losing to lower-seeded teams in the NCAA tournament) before he won his first National Championship. 

For me, the jury's still out on White.  The injury bug (especially to the big men) has hit the Gators hard the last few years.  I'm inclined to give White another couple of years to sink or swim.  

Funny how Willie didn't even get past the first half of season one before his head was being put on the chopping block. And how'd the Wonder Kid from UCF do at Nebraska in his first year ?  No crystal ball here, only an observation....umh (lingering) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Funny how Willie didn't ever get past the first half of season one before his head was being put on the chopping block. And how'd the Wonder Kid from UCF do at Nebraska in his first year ?  No crystal ball here, only an observation....umh (lingering) 

Frost is going to end up regretting he left UCF. I know why he did, and in his situation, I may have too. But in terms of future success, I think he made a big mistake. UCF was a program waiting to explode to the upside once the fossil was put out to pasture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Funny how Willie didn't even get past the first half of season one before his head was being put on the chopping block. And how'd the Wonder Kid from UCF do at Nebraska in his first year ?  No crystal ball here, only an observation....umh (lingering) 

Well, his shitty coaching did plunge them into the worst start in 50 years and the first losing season in 40, so you tell me..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its always funny when a rival fan says that a program will never be back.. Then you look at where Clemson and Bama were in the early 00's.  CFB runs in cycles... I am sure there were some overzealous FSU fans saying the gators would never back back after their 4-8 season.

CFB goes in Cycles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 181pl said:

Well, his shitty coaching did plunge them into the worst start in 50 years and the first losing season in 40, so you tell me..

My reference was to "Perspective's" post on the current head Gator basketball coach getting a few more "SEASONS" to sink or swim. Like your political beliefs 181, you missed the "reasoned" observation. Can't say that I'm really surprised.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cocoa2010 said:

This kind of fair-weather fanning is hilariously blind to the reality of the roster.

The roster was pretty bad so I wasn't too surprised by the result

 

What is bothering me is how crappy taggart is in recruiting FL thus far, looks like he just throwing darts at wall and hoping some work out

 

Still lacking a QB 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

This kind of fair-weather fanning is hilariously blind to the reality of the roster.

Agreed. The O & D lines are horrendous. The back 7 on defense were lost and covered no one. The QB play (both of them) was weak and very inconsistent. I too expected more from Mr. Taggart. At least a little more intensity and innovation at a minimum. He's under the gun to make a quick turnaround. The clock is ticking. I wish the 'Noles a speedy recovery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...