Quantcast
Jump to content

FHSAA Playoff Pairings


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MadCo getting drunk on that 1A wine

Again, I think the goal was to give everybody a chance to play football games this fall without having to worry about teams playing a specific number of games against specific opponents, determining d

I agree with the first part for sure. An imperfect system for an imperfect season. I think the brackets shake out in a way that the teams that are "supposed" to advance will regardless of where they p

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Do you have any information you can share?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Do you have any information you can share?

Nope, I have zero role, nor do I know how the blind draw went down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Nope, I have zero role, nor do I know how the blind draw went down. 

Do you think that may have been the wrong approach considering how much criticism has been leveled at the fhsaa this fall to have something this important be done with no eyes on it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Dr. Phillips and Palmetto got a horrible deal in 8a, Region 3. Especially Dp, since they have to travel to Miami Palmetto for the play in game. If they can pull off the win in that one, then they deserve to make it to the title game.  

Yeah has miami palmetto always been good???. I don't really know them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah has miami palmetto always been good???. I don't really know them 

Not generally but they are loaded this year

 

I see some similarities to Southridge in 2016 who despite having some success in the past basically came out of nowhere to win a state title and Miami Palmetto could do the same in 8a

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Not generally but they are loaded this year

 

I see some similarities to Southridge in 2016 who despite having some success in the past basically came out of nowhere to win a state title and Miami Palmetto could do the same in 8a

So explain Florida high beating yall please.  Columbia is nothing with out bell, and smith. You agree finally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Do you have any information you can share?

There's no way the brackets were a blind draw. It appears that too many strong teams were given byes in the first round for anyone to believe the person pulling those names out of the hat wasn't peaking at the names. If it was a blind draw, I want him to pick lottery numbers for me this weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

There's no way the brackets were a blind draw. It appears that too many strong teams were given byes in the first round for anyone to believe the person pulling those names out of the hat wasn't peaking at the names. If it was a blind draw, I want him to pick lottery numbers for me this weekend.

Then how does Leon and Chiles get byes while Niceville and Fleming Island have to play in the play in week?

 

Yes some of these matchups in the brackets are very convenient but if they are really picking the matchups and not random draw they clearly have no clue who the top teams in the region are 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Then how does Leon and Chiles get byes while Niceville and Fleming Island have to play in the play in week?

 

Yes some of these matchups in the brackets are very convenient but if they are really picking the matchups and not random draw they clearly have no clue who the top teams in the region are 

The top teams from year to year rarely change. It's not that difficult to predict the teams that will be find themselves at the top of the standings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The top teams from year to year rarely change. It's not that difficult to predict the teams that will be find themselves at the top of the standings. 

And yet I could point to multiple examples throughout the brackets where they clearly missed on it 

 

Again if this wasn't blind draw then the fhsaa did a laughable attempt at seeding, so as unbelievable as it is I hope for their sake it was somehow a blind draw 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

DP and Palmetto, probably both top 5 in 8A, playing in the first round is brutal. Could have a been a title game if things went normal this year. 

This was a terrible draw for Dp. A game like this should be played at a neutral site or should be in a much later round. If Dp. wins this game, I hope they make it to the final. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Do you have any information you can share?

A brief glance suggests high priority was given to proximity of schools.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, skyway said:

A brief glance suggests high priority was given to proximity of schools.

If that were so why not put Columbia vs Gainesville as play in game (a rivalry game that was taken last week because of covid issues) instead of aligning them in opposite brackets playing teams over a hour away?

 

And that's just one of plenty of examples I could find if I really cared enough to write them all down where it showed no real consistent approach for the "blind draws"

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an Osceola/Orange County guy, I look at the brackets and think that there's no way they were "randomly generated." Look at that region in 7A. Weikiva, Edgewater, Viera and Wiregrass don't have to play each other until Round 3. While I get that a bracket should have the best teams advancing, random chance would dictate there would be more powerhouse matchups early in the playoffs than we're seeing. Osceola and Apopka getting byes seems appropriate though in 8A. They should have those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can nit-pick all we want regarding the playoff format.  Heck, we do that no matter what the format is.  But at least we have one this year. 

Whether intended or not, by instituting a playoff system that allowed every team that 'opted in' to make the playoffs, I think a lot more teams chose to stay in than might otherwise have been the case.  And by "stay in," I mean both stay in the regular season and stay in the FHSAA.     And those who 'opted out' will, presumably, receive the benefit of extra games.  But I give the FHSAA credit for coming up with a system on the fly during a time in August when it wasn't clear that there would even be a football season.  

Just so that I'm clear, my only observation/criticism has to do with what the FHSAA said they were going to do and what they actually did do.   They said the brackets were going to be completely random.  When I looked at the 7A and 8A brackets, they didn't look random to me.   Last night I read that they FHSAA stated that they used a "computer program" and then did "coin flips" ahead of time to determine the home team and visiting team for each game.  I can buy the coin flip explanation, although I'm pretty sure there's been a computer program for that since, oh, I don't know, perhaps since the second or third computer program was written.   Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I took my one and only computer class.  But,  I seem to recall that how you set the program up (and what information gets considered) goes a long way in determining what comes out the back end.  If the program took into account team records, team power rankings, team geographic locations, team performances in prior years, or any other factors other than how to spell the team's name, then it wasn't truly a random process.   What's the old adage?   Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.  Just be transparent.  That's all I'm asking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perspective said:

We can nit-pick all we want regarding the playoff format.  Heck, we do that no matter what the format is.  But at least we have one this year. 

Whether intended or not, by instituting a playoff system that allowed every team that 'opted in' to make the playoffs, I think a lot more teams chose to stay in than might otherwise have been the case.  And by "stay in," I mean both stay in the regular season and stay in the FHSAA.     And those who 'opted out' will, presumably, receive the benefit of extra games.  But I give the FHSAA credit for coming up with a system on the fly during a time in August when it wasn't clear that there would even be a football season.  

Just so that I'm clear, my only observation/criticism has to do with what the FHSAA said they were going to do and what they actually did do.   They said the brackets were going to be completely random.  When I looked at the 7A and 8A brackets, they didn't look random to me.   Last night I read that they FHSAA stated that they used a "computer program" and then did "coin flips" ahead of time to determine the home team and visiting team for each game.  I can buy the coin flip explanation, although I'm pretty sure there's been a computer program for that since, oh, I don't know, perhaps since the second or third computer program was written.   Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I took my one and only computer class.  But,  I seem to recall that how you set the program up (and what information gets considered) goes a long way in determining what comes out the back end.  If the program took into account team records, team power rankings, team geographic locations, team performances in prior years, or any other factors other than how to spell the team's name, then it wasn't truly a random process.   What's the old adage?   Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.  Just be transparent.  That's all I'm asking. 

I would have thrown names in a hat and have somebody draw them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Posts

    • In the regular season game, West Orange defeated Apopka 15-14 in overtime when they decided to go for two rather than do it again. In that game Apopka was without Jaquan Lohman, the heart and soul of its offense. Consequentially, Apopka was unable to mount much offense during the game and only forced overtime in the 4th quarter due to a huge defensive play that set Apopka up in the red zone late in the 4th quarter. This enabled them to tie the game at 7 apiece after West Orange had led for most of the game. Last week, Apopka demonstrated that its coaching staff used the bye week productively. The result was a complete overhaul of the offense, both with respect to personnel and scheme. The result was probably Apopka's best offensive game of the season. If Apopka has remained healthy and can repeat last week's performance, I expect a different game than the regular season matchup. West Orange has several weapons at their disposal including a third McDoom and another rangy receiver. However, I believe that if Apopka can repeat last week's form it will win convincingly. While I am not predicting a blowout, I see the Darters taking this game by two scores and moving on to the third round and either a rematch with Lake Mary or a date with Oviedo. If I am right, this should set up a rematch with either Seminole or Bartram Trail in the state semifinals. 
    • ...some comments IMG-I typically don't include IMG in these discussions Oxbridge-I only considered active programs Armwood and Central had forfeited seasons Dwyer, Madison County, BTW, St Augustine and Plant have not had winning seasons every season during the specified time frame
    • In the dinosaur days, many hs games were turf battles, ie this town vs that town, this hood vs that hood.  Even in the private schools, most of the kids who attended were from relatively close by.  One did not see a bunch of Miami-Dade athletes going to a Broward private school like one does today.  Recruiting potentially took away from the aspect of a team being a true representation of that geographical area, so it was frowned upon.   With the onset of urban sprawl, we have lost a lot of our geographical identity.  And with the ability of kids to move around much more freely today, high school populations, and subsequently hs teams, are somewhat "random."   As a society, we don't have a problem taking a completely random bunch of pro or college players, putting them in the same uniform, and identifying them as "my team."   At the end of the day, pro and college fans enjoy watching quality players and good competition. So, what is the hang-up with high school?  Why can we not do the same?  What is the problem with high schools recruiting and having all-star teams?  I ask the question because I think we all need to ask ourselves what about it really bothers us.    Are we afraid of the kids being exploited?  I would say that high-school aged kids today are more aware than in the past.  I am much more worried about drug dealers or pedophiles than I am a rival's coach recruiting my star player.      Is it the potential loss of innocence of high schoolers and our effort to protect them from the big, bad world?  If so, we don't seem to do a very good job of protecting kids from exposure on other fronts, ie handing electronic devices to very young children.  Recruiting in the Corporate world used to have a negative stigma.  Some people still feel guilty talking to a job recruiter while they are employed, as if they are cheating on their spouse.  But that stigma has clearly changed.    Likewise, I think recruiting has a negative stigma in the world of hs athletics that may change over time.  I understand some of the concerns.  These are kids we are talking about.  But a teenager today is in some ways much more grown up than a teenager 50 years ago.  The quicker our teens can figure out how the real world works, the better.                  
    • Yes Lakeland, Manatee and Columbia are all over the 600 win mark but do they also meet one of the other questions?
    • Fun fact. Fernandina Beach beat the Undefeated Georgia State Champ Adel,GA (Cook County) in 1949 in a post season game called the Turpentine Bowl. https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:SchoolHome?season=1949&school=Cook#teams
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...