The most Poinciana thing ever!

Beek

Today I was called in the office and was basically told " we want the program to head in a different direction"  AKA your Fired!

I am not sure what direction that is?  When I came to Poinciana this was a 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 program with kids always getting in trouble, grades were poor on average. Since I took over the program we went 4-6 my 1st season, best record since 2000. Covid happened still went 3-6  all the while managing to keep a JV program, where other schools couldnt. my 3rd year was the trying one. We had player issues, had to remove all of our seniors and went 1-9. Last season on the back of that we rebooted and set every record in school history. From points scored, to wins in a season,  points against, Being the first head coach to ever stay there after the 3rd season. This year while being a little rocky we had our DC quit after week 2, other coaches stepped up and filled in the voids. We only went 4-6 this year also beating Liberty for the second year in a row, Something no other coach had done there. (we were also the first to beat Liberty). We also have raised the teams GPA to above a 3.0 and are keeping kids out of trouble. While Im not going to air out dirty laundry, because I could do a lot of that.  I will say that I feel the true reason i was let go was I refuse to be a puppet and just follow along with everything. I fight for the kids and what I feel is right.  I gave that school 9 years, planned on staying for a long time in the future. We see what loyalty has to do with things. 

Added:  By no means am I saying that everything I did was right. But everything I did was in my opinion for the betterment of the program. Did I make mistakes, sure, but who doesnt. Truly did not feel any mistakes I made were so egregious that it should have cost me the job. 

16 minutes ago, Beek said:

Today I was called in the office and was basically told " we want the program to head in a different direction"  AKA your Fired!

I am not sure what direction that is?  When I came to Poinciana this was a 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 program with kids always getting in trouble, grades were poor on average. Since I took over the program we went 4-6 my 1st season, best record since 2000. Covid happened still went 3-6  all the while managing to keep a JV program, where other schools couldnt. my 3rd year was the trying one. We had player issues, had to remove all of our seniors and went 1-9. Last season on the back of that we rebooted and set every record in school history. From points scored, to wins in a season,  points against, Being the first head coach to ever stay there after the 3rd season. This year while being a little rocky we had our DC quit after week 2, other coaches stepped up and filled in the voids. We only went 4-6 this year also beating Liberty for the second year in a row, Something no other coach had done there. (we were also the first to beat Liberty). We also have raised the teams GPA to above a 3.0 and are keeping kids out of trouble. While Im not going to air out dirty laundry, because I could do a lot of that.  I will say that I feel the true reason i was let go was I refuse to be a puppet and just follow along with everything. I fight for the kids and what I feel is right.  I gave that school 9 years, planned on staying for a long time in the future. We see what loyalty has to do with things. 

Sad in that it is an irrefutable fact you made true progress in a program that needed stability, leadership and true commitment.   During your tenure you can take solace knowing you gave the program all that and more.  We truly live in an upside-down world and this decision by the school administration is a head scratcher to say the least.  Things happen for a reason and I truly hope it leads to better things for you going forward.  Good Luck Coach, wishing you the best. 

40 minutes ago, Beek said:

Coach, I am sorry to hear the news. I don't know you, but I have seen the school's progress under your leadership. I wish you the best. As in a football play, at times you go backwards in order to break a big play. I hope you find another program that can use your passion. 

15 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Coach, I am sorry to hear the news. I don't know you, but I have seen the school's progress under your leadership. I wish you the best. As in a football play, at times you go backwards in order to break a big play. I hope you find another program that can use your passion. 

Ditto. 

@Beek This could be the Lord telling you that all you did at Poinciana is done, and your ministry and leadership is needed elsewhere. I have no doubt in my mind you will land on your feet somewhere that will greatly benefit from having you. Keep your head clear and make sure to stick with the high road because you don’t want anything coming back to bite you when emotions are at an all time high. Good luck with everything coach. 

This is brutal.   As a booster of a long-struggling school, I know first hand how hard it is to turn around a program.  There is no quick fix and it takes years of building to reverse the bleeding.  Based upon your progress, you clearly had the program going in the right direction so if I were to blindly guess, I would assume you were the victim of politics.  Unfortunately, running a program also requires a great deal of politicking skills in addition to Xs and Os.  Sometimes you can be a great politician but still be on the wrong end of politics.  I would take this as an opportunity to reflect and see if there were any opportunities to bridge gaps in opinions with administration and take your considerable coaching skills and lessons learned onto the next program.  Sorry to hear the news!

There is no greater gift to a program than a coach that cares about his athletes. Not always true when it comes to the administrations toward the coaches. It's tough getting a program turned around. Don't give up. Coach at their rival, J/K... Hopefully if you have to relocate it will be to an area where 3.0 GPA's are normal and athletes are pliable and eager. Good luck on your next coaching job. 

7 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

@Beek This could be the Lord telling you that all you did at Poinciana is done, and your ministry and leadership is needed elsewhere. I have no doubt in my mind you will land on your feet somewhere that will greatly benefit from having you. Keep your head clear and make sure to stick with the high road because you don’t want anything coming back to bite you when emotions are at an all time high. Good luck with everything coach. 

Already landed on my feet. In less than 4 hours I found a new home! Wont be the head coach, but titles do not mean much to me anyway. I know I can make a difference where ill be coaching. 

7 hours ago, Beek said:

Already landed on my feet. In less than 4 hours I found a new home! Wont be the head coach, but titles do not mean much to me anyway. I know I can make a difference where ill be coaching. 

I am glad you found a new home. I suspect it's not a big hike from where you are now. I wish you success in the new job. 

As for Poinciana, although I don't wish ill on the program, I can't help but think that they will revert to where they were. 

Wekiva did the same thing with their head coach recently. They let him go with two games left in the season. As far as I can determine, it was not for something inexcusable, but due to tension/disagreements between him and members of his administration.  

To me, the correct way to make a change except in cases where the coach committed an a very bad offense, is to wait till the season ends, especially, as was the case with Wekiva, if you were still in the playoff hunt. 

Being on the other side now sadly most admins don't care what you do for kids or care about wins or losses as long as there are no issues they have to deal with they are happy.  I'm sure they have their reasons for letting you go.  I'm guessing it has nothing to do with football.  Thanks for making a difference in kids lives.  You might not be appreciated by the admin but lots of people do appreciate you.  Thanks Coach

On 11/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, nolebull813 said:

https://www.aroundosceola.com/sports/beeken-removed-poinciana-football-coach

The Lord did find me a place to go! with Brad Lord at Southlake! Go EAGLES!

On 11/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, nolebull813 said:

+100.  Couldn't have said it any better.

• 2 weeks later...

@Beek Coach...this is Coach Brandon your former Varsity WRs coach. I am so Sorry for what happened. It was an honor to coach with you in 2022 and help the school get its first winning record in program history. I always kept an eye on the school and this past season. You really put your heart and soul into that program to make things right. Good luck at Southlake and God bless!

Much appreciated. It was a good run cut too short, unfortunately! Like I said people make decisions. I can only comply. I do not hang my head in shame as I still truly feel I did nothing that should have cost me the job.  I did fight for my players with administration. I will never back down when it is for the good of the kid. After all thats what its all about. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the Poinciana head coach job goes to Tayron Mallard. 25 years old. He was a high school OC for 6 games. This was his first full season as a high school football coach. He volunteered the year before part time. No disrespect to him. But I fail to see how he is ready to take on a high school football program as a head coach. In my humble opinion, the inner workings of a football program go so much deeper than the on field part. He is an alumni and I was told that he knew the kids and that was the reason for his hire. 

Again, absolutely no disrespect to him. I truly hope he is successful in continuing what I had started. 

27 minutes ago, Beek said:

So the Poinciana head coach job goes to Tayron Mallard. 25 years old. He was a high school OC for 6 games. This was his first full season as a high school football coach. He volunteered the year before part time. No disrespect to him. But I fail to see how he is ready to take on a high school football program as a head coach. In my humble opinion, the inner workings of a football program go so much deeper than the on field part. He is an alumni and I was told that he knew the kids and that was the reason for his hire. 

Again, absolutely no disrespect to him. I truly hope he is successful in continuing what I had started. 

Unfortunately, in these disgusting times, it'll all boil down to his ability to recr...I mean "attract" players. If he attracts enough studs, they'll be decent mostly no matter what. Of course, I can't imagine anyone who could play for Osceola, Lake Wales, or even Haines City leaving to play for a 25 year-old coach at Poinciana. But, what do I know?

1 hour ago, Longtime Observer said:

Unfortunately, in these disgusting times, it'll all boil down to his ability to recr...I mean "attract" players. If he attracts enough studs, they'll be decent mostly no matter what. Of course, I can't imagine anyone who could play for Osceola, Lake Wales, or even Haines City leaving to play for a 25 year-old coach at Poinciana. But, what do I know?

If he's charismatic and has deep connections in the community, they will come. With that said, given the fact administration at the school seems to have, at best, mixed feelings about the game and its success/failure, he's got his work cut out for him and may not be up to the task of navigating the land mines that lie ahead.  

On 12/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, Beek said:

youve stated repeatedly, youve moved on.

so let it go, get over it, move on,

On 12/17/2023 at 9:18 AM, h8r said:

youve stated repeatedly, youve moved on.

so let it go, get over it, move on,

I have moved on.  That being said. When you put 9 years of your life into something you kinda become attached to it. I’ll still be working there.  Have to see it and live it daily.  If you truly can’t understand that.  It was more than just a job.