Quantcast
Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
SubZero

SFHSAA being created ?

Recommended Posts


18 minutes ago, SubZero said:

It doesn't count.  Fhsaa is Florida that's the real and only championship.  Hopefully south Florida comes back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SubZero said:

If you watched the FHSAA meeting this morning, it was quite apparent that the representatives from South Florida did not want the football season starting in September. An amendment was offered and approved that allowed schools to start later, but they would not be eligible for the state championships. The South Florida reps stated it wasn't an equitable solution if they would not be eligible for state championships. They played heavily on the medical data and asked pointed questions of the medical doctor who was on the phone, but they never once mentioned that they are in the position that they can't start football next month because too many people in South Florida were irresponsible when it came to containing the virus. The rest of the state should not be penalized because South Florida finds itself in the position they are in. I believe the final vote was 11-4 to proceed with Option 1 and the approved amendment. South Florida can hold their own championships later this year or early next year under the approved format. They were told they could do a regional playoff; it just wouldn't count toward the state championship. They may call themselves the SFHSAA this year, but I'm pretty sure they'll be back in the fold next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

If you watched the FHSAA meeting this morning, it was quite apparent that the representatives from South Florida did not want the football season starting in September. An amendment was offered and approved that allowed schools to start later, but they would not be eligible for the state championships. The South Florida reps stated it wasn't an equitable solution if they would not be eligible for state championships. They played heavily on the medical data and asked pointed questions of the medical doctor who was on the phone, but they never once mentioned that they are in the position that they can't start football next month because too many people in South Florida were irresponsible when it came to containing the virus. The rest of the state should not be penalized because South Florida finds itself in the position they are in. I believe the final vote was 11-4 to proceed with Option 1 and the approved amendment. South Florida can hold their own championships later this year or early next year under the approved format. They were told they could do a regional playoff; it just wouldn't count toward the state championship. They may call themselves the SFHSAA this year, but I'm pretty sure they'll be back in the fold next year. 

North Florida got Dawgs, no panhandle teams winning state. The Jacksonville sweep/ the madison County dynasty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid is an isolated event (hopefully) and 2020 is an outlier year (hopefully).   With the amendment allowing teams/schools/counties to "opt out" this year and basically do whatever they want in terms of a season and a post-season (and, oh by the way, the FHSAA staff will even assist in the process), why would South Florida schools need to leave the FHSAA?  Just opt out this year. 

If South Florida schools opt out, they won't be able to win a State Championship.  If South Florida schools leave the FHSAA, they still won't be able to win a State Championship -- only a South Florida Championship.  Either way, and through no fault of their own, they don't get want in 2020.   Probably the case for most of us this year. 

Classic "I'm not getting my way, so I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude.   Not exactly the ideal life lesson to be teaching kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I hope this is not the end of a true, state championship series in Florida. 

That's all I have to say on this topic. 

Its not dude. Madison will win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Its not dude. Madison will win

If all teams are not in the Fhsaa then there is no true state championship series.  Do you even read before you post Madison is the best ever and will win every game they play by 100 points or is that your response to every thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I hope this is not the end of a true, state championship series in Florida. 

That's all I have to say on this topic. 

Hmm could be the beginning of what they do in Cali. North florida champs vs south Florida champs for the overall state championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Hmm could be the beginning of what they do in Cali. North florida champs vs south Florida champs for the overall state championship.

Nope 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jesse said:

It doesn't count.  Fhsaa is Florida that's the real and only championship.  Hopefully south Florida comes back.  

Well if the fhsaa would have made the right decision with the 3rd option south florida would be with it. Fhsaa gotta think about the health and safety of players and coaches more than money that comes in from it. Cause how much money really go come in if these players and coaches get sick or die from covid 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

Well if the fhsaa would have made the right decision with the 3rd option south florida would be with it. Fhsaa gotta think about the health and safety of players and coaches more than money that comes in from it. Cause how much money really go come in if these players and coaches get sick or die from covid 19.

So, you're telling the rest of the state that they should wait until South Florida is ready to play? That seems a little bit selfish on the part of the South Florida schools. As best I can remember, wasn't NW caught holding illegal practices several months ago? Were they concerned about the "health and safety of players and coaches" when they were holding these practices without masks , social distancing, and adherence to the rules? Were they the only ones practicing illegally or the only ones caught? For kids throughout the state who don't have a scholarship offer, especially the seniors, this season is their only chance to impress college coaches. They already lost Spring practice, Spring games, college Summer camps and visits; should they sacrifice their last chance to wait on South Florida to get to the point when they can safely start playing football because South Florida schools want to participate in state championship games? The FHSAA already voted to allow schools to start play later; they would just miss the state championships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

I’m definitely not opposed to another Association being formed. If Dade county leads the charge, I’m sure other large districts would follow. I honestly don’t think the FHSAA would be able to financially survive without South FL. Just my opinion. 

North Florida says hello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HornetFan said:

So, you're telling the rest of the state that they should wait until South Florida is ready to play? That seems a little bit selfish on the part of the South Florida schools. As best I can remember, wasn't NW caught holding illegal practices several months ago? Were they concerned about the "health and safety of players and coaches" when they were holding these practices without masks , social distancing, and adherence to the rules? Were they the only ones practicing illegally or the only ones caught? For kids throughout the state who don't have a scholarship offer, especially the seniors, this season is their only chance to impress college coaches. They already lost Spring practice, Spring games, college Summer camps and visits; should they sacrifice their last chance to wait on South Florida to get to the point when they can safely start playing football because South Florida schools want to participate in state championship games? The FHSAA already voted to allow schools to start play later; they would just miss the state championships. 

Another great post HornetFan. I recently saw a Spectrum Sports exclusive on a Linebacker from West Orange High School, who has been playing since he was in grade school through several injuries, just to get a chance at a college football scholarship. This player's father got a college football scholarship, and the father credited that scholarship with creating a good life for his family. Now he wants the same for his son, and I believe that those kind of Seniors and stories that are important right now. The class of 2021 did nothing to create and spread this virus, every effort should be made to help out these young men and women just like would be done any other Non-Pandemic year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HornetFan said:

So, you're telling the rest of the state that they should wait until South Florida is ready to play? That seems a little bit selfish on the part of the South Florida schools. As best I can remember, wasn't NW caught holding illegal practices several months ago? Were they concerned about the "health and safety of players and coaches" when they were holding these practices without masks , social distancing, and adherence to the rules? Were they the only ones practicing illegally or the only ones caught? For kids throughout the state who don't have a scholarship offer, especially the seniors, this season is their only chance to impress college coaches. They already lost Spring practice, Spring games, college Summer camps and visits; should they sacrifice their last chance to wait on South Florida to get to the point when they can safely start playing football because South Florida schools want to participate in state championship games? The FHSAA already voted to allow schools to start play later; they would just miss the state championships. 

No im telling the state that the virus numbers of cases and deaths are high all over. So what im saying is that is not for anyone to play football right now. The fhsaa should picked the 3rd option so everybody can start at the same time. All it takes is for one kid or coach to get sick and you have quarantine any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

No im telling the state that the virus numbers of cases and deaths are high all over. So what im saying is that is not for anyone to play football right now. The fhsaa should picked the 3rd option so everybody can start at the same time. All it takes is for one kid or coach to get sick and you have quarantine any way.

Just keep talking lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing (and frightening) the degree to which people are willing to completely fail to see reality. We had the commissioner of the Big 12 (key state in the conference being Texas), and folks in Florida talking about them doing what makes sense for their state, and then saying things like "what's happening with all the cases in California is unfortunate, but..." All the while, the situation in Texas is WORSE and in Florida it is MUCH worse. Both states have considerably more cases per population and deaths per population. Florida has about 75% more cases and 75% more deaths per population than California. On the county level, Los Angeles is, by far, the hardest hit county in California. Yet, Hillsborough, Orange and Osceola counties all have more widespread viurs per capita than LA. And those are just three of the first counties not in South Florida that I pulled up. Polk county is neck and neck with LA county. Florida is doing considerably worse than California, but, sure, let's frame it as if it were the other way around. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skyway said:

It's amazing (and frightening) the degree to which people are willing to completely fail to see reality. We had the commissioner of the Big 12 (key state in the conference being Texas), and folks in Florida talking about them doing what makes sense for their state, and then saying things like "what's happening with all the cases in California is unfortunate, but..." All the while, the situation in Texas is WORSE and in Florida it is MUCH worse. Both states have considerably more cases per population and deaths per population. Florida has about 75% more cases and 75% more deaths per population than California. On the county level, Los Angeles is, by far, the hardest hit county in California. Yet, Hillsborough, Orange and Osceola counties all have more widespread viurs per capita than LA. And those are just three of the first counties not in South Florida that I pulled up. Florida is doing considerably worse than California, but, sure, let's frame it as if it were the other way around. :rolleyes:

It is easy to make any kind of decisions in life when you are not personally accountable to a high degree for said decisions.  Too often the "consequence" is, at worst, an apology, ie "Sorry, I made a bad decision."  If one knew with certainty that their career in a certain field was over as a result of a bad decision, rest assured, they would be much more conservative. 

If it turns out that letting the kids back to school and/or play organized sports was a bad idea, certain folks will be running for cover and saying "oops."  I am not debating whether it is right or wrong to let the kids play.  It's a tough decision.  Am simply pointing out that it is relatively easy for some to "ignore reality" when the personal stakes for their failure to do so are not that high.  

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, Jesse said:

It doesn't count.  Fhsaa is Florida that's the real and only championship.  Hopefully south Florida comes back.  

Lol, 7 teams won state championships in South Florida last season. If the SFHSAA becomes official, the 2020 FHSAA champions should have an asterisk with the exception of Madison County, if they win another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Big Ray said:

Lol, 7 teams won state championships in South Florida last season. If the SFHSAA becomes official, the 2020 FHSAA champions should have an asterisk with the exception of Madison County, if they win another one.

If you sleep. They will madison owns 1A. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

No im telling the state that the virus numbers of cases and deaths are high all over. So what im saying is that is not for anyone to play football right now. The fhsaa should picked the 3rd option so everybody can start at the same time. All it takes is for one kid or coach to get sick and you have quarantine any way.

Kyle, if you had watched the livestream of the FHSAA meeting on Friday, you would have heard the South Florida representatives push for Option 3. The rest of the folks at that meeting voted 11-5 for Option 1, as amended by a South Florida representative that would allow any school to play later with the only exception being they wouldn't be eligible for the state playoffs. They could do regional playoffs and the FHSAA would work with them to make that happen. The majority of counties in Florida are in compliance with the CDC guidelines for starting high school football. South Florida was hit very hard by the pandemic, especially after Memorial Day when beaches were crowded and street parties were very popular in that area. With the Big 10, Pac 12, MAC, Mountain West and several smaller conferences pushing football out to the Spring, this can be a tremendous opportunity for kids in Florida to be seen by coaches and scouts from those conferences. Those coaches and scouts should be out in force during the Fall football season in Florida. It will also place their focus on areas other than South Florida. It could be the difference between a kid going to college on a sport's scholarship or starting a career flipping burgers at McDonalds. I don't see any upside for the teams outside South Florida postponing their Fall football season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good synopsis, HornetFan.

I'll summarize the situation as follows:

North Florida is ready for football.

South Florida is not ready for football. 

South Florida wants North Florida to wait until South Florida is ready so that all the teams in the state can compete in a traditional state series, even if this means that ultimately no one gets to compete in the state series if the Covid situation deteriorates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Good synopsis, HornetFan.

I'll summarize the situation as follows:

North Florida is ready for football.

South Florida is not ready for football. 

South Florida wants North Florida to wait until South Florida is ready so that all the teams in the state can compete in a traditional state series, even if this means that ultimately no one gets to compete in the state series if the Covid situation deteriorates. 

For the most part yes however I will add there are several North Florida counties who may opt out of the state series but we will have to see how this goes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

For the most part yes however I will add there are several North Florida counties who may opt out of the state series but we will have to see how this goes 

The FHSAA left that option open for all schools throughout the state. After watching the meeting on-line, it seemed like the fairest decision, one that would allow every team in the state to play when their area deemed it safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...