SSAA relases playoff brackets

Joshua Wilson

Let’s go St. Edward’s! (Vero school my cousins kids are playing for, and my cousin coaches) as well as Sebastian River!

Crazy though down at the bottom 2 1-7 schools are playing for a championship, and 0-8 Space Coast is the number 1 seed that has a bye week straight to the championship.

1 minute ago, Trelle said:

Let’s go St. Edward’s! (Vero School my cousins kids are playing for) as well as Sebastian River!

Crazy though down at the bottom 2 1-7 schools are playing for a championship, and 0-8 Space Coast is the number 1 seed that has a bye week straight to the championship.

All championships are not created equal, I guess.

17 hours ago, Trelle said:

Let’s go St. Edward’s! (Vero school my cousins kids are playing for, and my cousin coaches) as well as Sebastian River!

Did anyone miss the playoffs? That could be the only reason I could come up with if 0-8 teams are making the playoffs. Imagine going 2-8 and calling yourself a state champion. Lol.

5 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Did anyone miss the playoffs? That could be the only reason I could come up with if 0-8 teams are making the playoffs. Imagine going 2-8 and calling yourself a state champion. Lol.

What took me out were the 2 win and 3 win teams being higher seeds than the teams with winning records 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Imagine if the Space Coast team lost in the championship, but a week later the other team had to forfeit the win for an ineligible player. Space Coast in theory could win their championship with a 1-8 record, and no actual wins on the field.

5 hours ago, Trelle said:

Imagine if the Space Coast team lost in the championship, but a week later the other team had to forfeit the win for an ineligible player. Space Coast in theory could win their championship with a 1-8 record, and no actual wins on the field.

If that happens, I’ll buy the championship rings 

One potentially useful aspect of this otherwise seemingly useless organization would be to absorb every private school in the state. Then they could actually set up real championships and real classifications. Let the FHSAA concentrate on public schools. They could play each other in the regular season for scheduling purposes, but for the playoffs they would stick to their respective organizations.

HEY ENOUGH... ALL OF YOU!

Why are you all trashing the SSAA for providing the schools that want an alternative to the FHSAA state series?

A lot of those programs are thankful they don't have to go up against the powerhouse teams where they would stand no chance on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Why are you all trashing the SSAA for providing the schools that want an alternative to the FHSAA state series?

A lot of those programs are thankful they don't have to go up against the powerhouse teams where they would stand no chance on a weekly basis.

I agree. The SSAA is doing everyone a service by providing the teams nobody wants in the FHSAA a home. I wish more teams would join. There are about 20 I can recommend around Tampa. 

2 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Josh, I have not commented on this subject yet, in large part because I simply don't know much about the Sunshine State Athletic Association.   As best I can tell from the article you posted, however,the SSAA basically is set up so that every team in the SSAA gets to play in an "end-of-the-year" tournament, with a ranking system being used to 'group' teams together based on their performance over the course of the season.   But yet the SSAA refers to this arrangement as their "playoffs."  Candidly, the SSAA State Championship Bracket looks legit.  There are teams in this bracket that likely could compete in their respective divisions within the FHSAA if they chose to do so.  But the other brackets . . .  not so much so. 

I think the focus of this thread has been on the 'other' teams in the other nine brackets.  One of the two teams playing in the "SSAA Atlantic 1A Championship" Game - their term, not mine - will enter the game with an 0-8 record.   The SSAA Cup Bracket features four teams with a combined record of 1-28.  Yes, one win and 28 losses.   One of these four teams will get to call themselves 'champions.'  

I have no problem with schools participating in an association other than the FHSAA.  But when you release "playoff brackets" right before the FHSAA schools are about to head into post-season play (well, not all of the FHSAA schools, but only the ones who qualify for the playoffs), I think it's reasonable to expect a little criticism from the anti-participation trophy crowd.  Perhaps the arrangement would be better received if the SSAA dropped the "championship" and "playoff" terms from all the brackets other than the State Championship Bracket. 

Just my two cents.

6 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I support the SSAA for getting more teams playing more games against teams of similar ability.  I hope the exodus from the FHSAA encourages some thought to the school and student-athlete experience.

8 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I'm all for the SSAA. They need to absorb every private school team in the state. 

7 hours ago, Perspective said:

Josh, I have not commented on this subject yet, in large part because I simply don't know much about the Sunshine State Athletic Association.   As best I can tell from the article you posted, however,the SSAA basically is set up so that every team in the SSAA gets to play in an "end-of-the-year" tournament, with a ranking system being used to 'group' teams together based on their performance over the course of the season.   But yet the SSAA refers to this arrangement as their "playoffs."  Candidly, the SSAA State Championship Bracket looks legit.  There are teams in this bracket that likely could compete in their respective divisions within the FHSAA if they chose to do so.  But the other brackets . . .  not so much so. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Picture-in-PictureFullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

I think the focus of this thread has been on the 'other' teams in the other nine brackets.  One of the two teams playing in the "SSAA Atlantic 1A Championship" Game - their term, not mine - will enter the game with an 0-8 record.   The SSAA Cup Bracket features four teams with a combined record of 1-28.  Yes, one win and 28 losses.   One of these four teams will get to call themselves 'champions.'  

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0%

0:00
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Picture-in-PictureFullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

I have no problem with schools participating in an association other than the FHSAA.  But when you release "playoff brackets" right before the FHSAA schools are about to head into post-season play (well, not all of the FHSAA schools, but only the ones who qualify for the playoffs), I think it's reasonable to expect a little criticism from the anti-participation trophy crowd.  Perhaps the arrangement would be better received if the SSAA dropped the "championship" and "playoff" terms from all the brackets other than the State Championship Bracket. 

Just my two cents.

Is there anything that you don't have an opinion on, and would be willing to leave your "two cents" out of?